DELICATE ARCH

NOVEMBER 2011

DELICATE ARCH

DELICATE ARCH

ARCH ALONG THE TRAIL TO DELICATE ARCH

PETROGLYPH NEAR THE TRAILHEAD

The three-mile round-trip hike to Delicate Arch is probably the most popular hike in Arches National Park, so you will want to hike it in the winter or early in the morning if you want to beat the crowds. I last hiked this trail on a Thanksgiving weekend and was surprised how crowded it was. I was there in the afternoon after doing another hike that morning, and remember getting the very last spot in the main parking lot. I also remember passing a train of people coming down the trail on my way up.

Once at the arch, I had to wait a while to get a photo of it without anyone standing underneath it, as there was a line of people waiting to have their pictures taken with the arch. So while not the most peaceful hike, it is one you have to do at least once. If I were to do it again I would go in the winter, or first thing in the morning, in order to beat the rush. Though watch the weather if you go in winter. The trail includes some uphill and downhill sections on slick rock, so it could be difficult to hike if it were covered in ice or snow.